System Error: 53
The network path was not found.
System errors are Microsoft Windows Operating System errors. Microsoft
system error: 53 is not directly related to DameWare remote support software, but is a
fairly common error message. The Remote Registry not running is the root cause of Microsoft Error 53.
The following are some common things to check when trying to resolve a System Error: 53 - Network path not found.
- Verify that File & Printer Sharing is enabled on the remote machine.
- Ensure all the necessary File & Printer Sharing ports are open on
all routers/firewalls between the local and remote machines, and in any type of
firewall software on the remote machine.
- Confirm that the Operating System (O/S) is properly configured with regard to Names Resolution. This is important because DameWare software uses the O/S for all Names Resolution. For Example: Open a CMD prompt, then Ping the remote machine by its Host Name.
- Enable NetBios (i.e. NetBios
over IP (NetBT/WINS), NetBios over IPX, etc.).
- For DameWare NT Utilities (DNTU) or DameWare Remote Support (DRS) Event Log, Properties, Processes, Registry, Services, or Software
Views, verify that the Remote Registry Service is Enabled and Started manually
on the remote machine. Note: this Service is not started by default
For the aforementioned views in DNTU/DRS, simply ensure the Remote Registry
Service is running on the remote machine. Otherwise, this error can be easily duplicated
outside of DameWare software by attempting to access the Admin$
share on the remote machine. For example: Open a CMD prompt on the local machine.
Type: Net Use \\RemoteMachine\Admin$
Net Use \\IP-Address\Admin$
Also note that File & Printer Sharing is required for all of the functionality
within the DNTU/DRS software, and also by Microsoft's APIs used in the DameWare Mini Remote Control (DMRC)
program to remotely install, remove, start or stop the DMRC Client Agent Service.
If the remote machine is running Windows XP SP2 or Vista, then this issue
is most likely related to the Windows Firewall which is enabled by default.
Therefore, it will be necessary to modify the default XP Firewall settings. DameWare software is compatible with
any firewall provided it is properly configured to allow
the necessary traffic to pass through.
Please see the following Knowledge Base articles for more information:
Using DameWare Development products in conjunction with XP SP2
Using DameWare Development software in conjunction with a